Monday, April 02, 2007

Is Monastic Community Possible?

This may seem like an odd question in the early 21st Century. In our highly individualist culture this may seem an inappropriate question. The prospect of living in cloistered communities, under order, taking spartan vows and living in poverty may seem completely out of step with post-modern culture; however, I believe that there are important lessons about the modern church that we can learn by taking a fresh look at monastic life.

There has been a lot of evidence in the media about a growing trend toward narcissism in the society at large. I’ve seen emerging evidence of a “me” culture and the obsessive drive toward personal satisfaction. From user defined content on the internet to a consumer driven culture that packages patriotism with material consumption we are being sold on the notion that we owe it to ourselves to satisfy every desire. This culture is creeping into the church. I’ve seen a creeping trend toward a satisfaction-based commitment to the church. What I mean is this: As long as a person is satisfied with what they are getting from the church everything is fine. When something happens to destabilize that satisfaction some will leave in search of a church that will satisfy their needs. The Church of Jesus Christ, the Body of Christ, is not built on a satisfaction-based model. The church is fashioned by the work of the Holy Spirit and through our unparalleled commitment to Jesus we come into alignment with that Body that exists independently of us.

In the last few weeks I’ve been reading through the monastic rule of Benedict of Nursia. This monastic rule has established a community of faith that has existed for more than 1500 years. This rule raises commitment to Christ to be the first and unequaled commitment. No other human want or commitment can compete with this commitment to Christ. This is an austere path to community, but given the current trend in our culture, there may be something to be said for this sort of commitment. While Benedict’s call to physically live in community may not be part of Christian’s calling, we can live in the spirit of that kind of radical commitment to Christ in which we put our commitment to Christ and the community above our own wants.

As I’ve read the Benedictine Rule, I’ve been confronted with some of my own shadow side. As I’ve lamented the emerging satisfaction-based commitment to the church, I’ve realized that the ego-centric roots of a consumer culture church have been present in my own life. I’ve labored with my own sense of entitlement about what the church should be like. I’ve come to the difficult realization that simply because I am the Senior Pastor I’m no more entitled than anyone else to have my wants satisfied. Since I have no intention of leaving and I can’t expect all of my wants to be satisfied, I’m forced to come up with a middle way. I’ve known for a while that the church wasn’t about me and my ego but this represents a much deeper learning of that truth. It’s been relatively easy to not invest my ego in the church when things were going fairly well. It has been in times of conflict that I realized I haven’t completely taken my ego out of the equation.

Through reading Dietrich Bonhoeffer and reflecting on my own frustrations and anxieties I’ve come to understand more completely that the Church, the Body of Christ, exists independently of us. The Church exists before us and it is not our creation. We don’t shape the church. The Church was created through the work of the Holy Spirit as the means by which God calls us out of our sin into a life of faith. Through the Baptismal Covenant we become initiated into the community that existed before us. It is pure hubris to expect the church to conform to our wishes. It is our faithful work to bend our wishes and wants to the community through our singular commitment to Christ…even for pastors this holds true. I can not expect everyone to be on their best behavior and to fly in formation all the time.

2 comments:

Andy said...

A subtle tension that is difficult for me to confess in all this is the reality that my church cannot, will not, should not "satisfy" the needs and expectations of every human being in my community. There are times and places where I struggle to gracefully suggest other faith communities where their needs might be meant. As someone who longs to be liked, appreciated, and approved of, it is my shadow's edge to be okay with that possibility.

Roger Humphries said...

Several years ago when our last Pastor was moved to another church, I was quite shocked that many members of our congregation left as well. Over the years I have given that action considerable thought, and after speaking with many others from a variety of churches, I have come to some recent thoughts of my own. Most that I have spoken to that have searched for a church to fit their needs have spoken from a purely faith based quest. They are seeking a closer relationship with God. The church only played the part of residence as far as they were concerned. The true seekers that I come across are not concerned with whether or not it is Lutheran, Baptist, or any of the other denominations, they are simply looking for a comfortable place to seek our Heavenly Father. Of course the Pastor and his sermon plays an important part for obvious reasons. We wouldn't go to a hardware store to hear about scripture. Likewise, not all Pastors can speak to the wide variety of personalities that are out there.
I have come to the strong conclusion that for me, the sanctuary and the ministries within the church are an enhancement to my walk of faith. I truly believe that it is impossible for anyone to be with Christ, body and soul, by merely attending service on Sunday. To connect with God takes every step we make and every breath we take. If we are in a church atmosphere that hinders or interferes with our relationship with Christ, then it would be understandable to me why someone would leave and perhaps be encouraged to leave. In the same breath, I think it is arrogant for someone to change the curriculum of the church to fit their ideas without consideration given to the entire congregation. I agree though, in our own exuberance in Christ, we can easily become overly zealous in our quest to gift others that we drag them instead of nurturing them. We can also appear to be on a all about "me" mission.